GORGEOUS GEMS OF GRANDEUR
Apart from the Dunhuang Pipa Necklace, the auction also features another two rare and exquisite diamonds.
Imagine that the lady playing a pipa depicted on the Dunhuang murals comes to life and turns into a diamond necklace. In a media preview, Sotheby’s Hong Kong presented a group of rare and exceptional diamonds to be offered in its Magnificent Jewels and Jadeite Sale, featuring the Dunhuang Pipa Necklace set with a 100.02-carat fancy intense yellow diamond at an estimated price of HKD 40-50 million.
– Designed and mounted by Anna
Hu, the Dunhuang Pipa Necklace is
created through the inspiration from
the imagery of a lady playing the pipa
depicted on the Dunhuang murals. The
silhouette of the necklace resembles
a Chinese Pipa attached to lines of
music stave that flows gracefully along
the neckline. Transformable into a
brooch and an earring, the necklace
is designed for modern-day women who appreciate intricate designs with a versatile twist.
– Apart from the Dunhuang Pipa Necklace, the auction will also feature a 10.64 carat fancy vivid purplish pink internally flawless diamond and diamond ring, and an 80.88 carat emerald cut diamond. Both are rare, exquisite and breath-taking.
– While displaying a fine transparency and an exceptionally clear appearance, this fancy vivid purplish pink diamond has been afforded the grade of an internally flawless gem. It is a miracle in nature as it has achieved a “Fancy Vivid” colour, which is a rare subgroup comprising less than 4% of all pink diamonds.
– Polished as a radiant cut, with the outline of an emerald-cut diamond combined with the scintillation of a brilliant-cut diamond, the gemstone boasts an attractive combination of facets which enhance the face-up colour. The subtle but distinctive colour of pink gained fame as the colour of elegance and aristocratic splendour through the centuries. In time, the colour became strongly associated with women, femininity, and as a symbol of love.
– The emerald-cut diamond has acquired the highest standard of 4C – carat, clarity, colour, cut. Of excellent colour and clarity, this 80.88 carat diamond is one of the only five emerald cut diamonds exceeding 80 carats even to have been offered at auction.
– Boasting flawless clarity, the diamond invites one to be immersed in its elegance through the crisp facets of the emerald-cut, which enhances the colourless brilliance of this gem. Also, the diamond is D colour, displaying an exceptional transparency that typifies a Type IIa gem, which represents less than 2% of all diamonds mined.