Formerly called Saigon, Ho Chi Minh city in Vietnam exudes an old-world elegance reminiscent of the French quarter it used to be. In the eyes of celebrated French writer Marguerite Duras, it is undoubtedly the capital of romance.
“I can’t think of any other
property anywhere in the
world that has brought together
so many of Italy’s leading
furnishings design brands.”
Giulio Cappellini, art director of the Milan-based Poltrona Frau Group
Evocative of the city’s laidback charm is The Reverie Saigon, a luxury hotel whose romantic ambience brings back fond memories of the movie’s iconic scenes.
–Stepping into the hotel, you will feel the romance
of the interiors’ baroque style and be whisked off to an Italian fantasy kingdom to experience yesteryear imperial glitter and glamour. Among the ornate trappings here are a sculptural standing chandelier highlighted with vine motifs, a plush leather chaise lounge and other top-quality Italian classic furnishings. Combining the height of opulence with palatial decorations throughout, the hotel provides an immersive experience in a blaze of styles and colours.
The lobby oozes extravagance at every turn, with “museum-grade collections” inclusive of hand-blown Murano glass installations for the ceiling together with a ColomboStile five-metre sofa crafted from purple Ostrich leather with a gilded trim and bejewelled by a single amethyst stone. Taking pride of place in the same space is a giant Baldi Monumental clock embellished with emerald green malachite in classical Italian style.
– Luxury infuses every furnishing detail in the suites,
from vintage bed to desktop lamp, armchair to study desk
that represents a range of top luxury Italian brands such
as Giorgetti, Fiddleback Sycamore and Progetti. Inside the Saigon suite, an Isidoro bar cabinet fashioned from leather stands alongside Ferrari genuine leather chairs, all made by Poltrona Frau.
– As you open the curtains, the elegant arc of Saigon River comes into view, featuring the Saigon Pier made famous by an important scene from “The Lover.” At this point, memories of the film’s poignant romantic episodes come flooding back.
– With the panoramic view ahead, imagine yourself cruising on an 18-metre Monte Carlo 6 The Reverie yacht to soak up the city’s irresistible charm unfolding on both sides of the river.
– Once aboard the yatch, guests will be pampered with Vietnamese-style VIP treatment, with a crew of three and private butler in tow. The interiors were fashioned by Italian designer Pierangelo Andreani, from teak and superior leather. Equipped with a full range of amenities, this spacious area is divided into a living zone and dining zone. The latter can be used to prepare gourmet meals for guests even when the vessel is out in the ocean.
– The Reverie yacht offers private charters of two and a half, five and eight hours. If you wish to enjoy the sunset and evening lights, opt for the Saigon Intermezzo cruise, which leaves at dusk. For two and a half hours, it you will be indulged with a champagne picnic for two which is ideal for couples and newlyweds.
– Saigon Avventura is the second cruise option lasting five hours, starts during the day and includes everything the Intermezzo has. An exploration of the Can Gio UNESCO Biosphere Reserve is another highlight. Topping it all is the Saigon Spettacolare, a full-day, eight-hour excursion anchored by a golf stop at Taekwang Jeongsan Country Club.
The Reverie Saigon
Address: 22-36 Nguyen Hue Street,
District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Telephone: (84) 28 3823 6688